Money Talks




Your Ad Here

Most of us are uncomfortable talking about our salary and rightfully so. Few things are as personal as how much we earn for a living. Still, job seekers often carry their reluctance to discuss pay into the job interview -- much to their detriment.

A typical scenario plays out like this:

    "What are your salary requirements?" a recruiter asks coolly.
    "Er ... my ehhh," you stutter. "Well, I, uh ... it's in the upper ... see, it's really, umm ..."

Answer this question poorly and the recruiter may think you're trying to pull her leg. Then, your chance of getting any salary is nil.

Here's how to discuss your salary before and during an interview.

When Haste Doesn't Make Waste

Avoid making tough salary decisions during an interview.

If a recruiter surprises you by saying, "Would you be willing to accept $8,000 less?" your response should be: "I need to think about that."

Be sure to establish a time when you will contact the recruiter with this information.

To Whom It May Concern, I Earn ...

"Please include resume and salary requirements," a typical help-wanted ad reads.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that these instructions do not apply to you.

If the recruiter took the time to ask for your salary requirements, include them. (This type of information, by the way, would be added to your cover letter -- never your resume.)

Use a range rather than a specific number.

If you just can't bring yourself to give a salary range, write "negotiable."

Less Money Can Mean More Opportunity

Taking a pay cut was not the toughest decision I've ever made, but it was pretty high up there.

I'd worked hard to earn my salary, and I knew that having a couple of thousand shaved off the bottom line would hurt -- really hurt. But I couldn't pass the opportunity I saw on the other side of the fence: A chance to come into a fast-growing company in a position that was poised for growth.

At the time, I saw it as an investment. Today, I realize it was a gamble ... a gamble that paid off.

I took the job (and the pay cut), rolled up my sleeves and started putting in a series of long days, nights and weekends. Sure enough the salary kept pace.

When I left the company two years later, I didn't miss the initial cut; I'd made it back in spades.

I always hear people say you should never take a job unless it pays more money. That's a good rule of thumb, but occasionally a good bet does pay off.
Your Ad Here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Subscribe to us